Thursday, March 31, 2011

I Dig Reading Challenge: March Update

I am loving this challenge more and more each month.

The only problem: my desire to give is still greater than my actual budget.

I over-gave this month, and that probably won't surprise anyone, considering recent world events.

I meant to "catch-up" with New Zealand in March, and then the events happened in Japan. I also wanted to support a friend raising money for MS, which is really important to me personally.

So... I knew I would give more than prescribed by the rules of my own challenge.

Then, when filling out the form at the Americares site, I thought I put in "$30.00" and somehow when I clicked send it came out as "$100.00".

After a BIG GULP I thought, while it was more than I planned to give, I could never begrudge the Japanese people this donation.

It is likely that I will be TOTALLY BROKE this summer (as a teacher I don't get paid in the summer. YIKES!).

With that in mind, I will bank some of these and use them in the summer months as I need them to meet my challenge.


What did I read this month?
What my Mother Doesn’t Know by Sonya Sones
Wake by Lisa McMann
13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher
A Killing Frost by John Marsden
Prisoners in the Palace by Michaela MacColl
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie
The Time Machine by HG Wells



Who am I giving to and how much?
By my own contest rules, that would merit a $40.00 donation for the month. 


What did I give:
$50.00 to the Crimmins family's MS walk (here's the National Multiple Sclerosis Society page)
$30.00 to New Zealand Earthquake Relief via the Red Cross
and $100.00 to Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami Relief via Americares (which has a 5-star charity navigator rating)

So, I actually gave $180.00 this month.

But please, understand, this is WAY out of my budget. I am BANKING the extra $140.00 to cover me over the summer when my checking account hovers around 0.

So, what about you, did you join the challenge?

What did you read this month and what did you choose to give? To whom did you give it?

You can join the challenge at any point in the year.

Happy READING and Happy GIVING!

15 comments:

  1. Okay, I was crap at reading this month...I started a lot of books, but I only finished ONE.

    So, I just decided to to donate an arbitrary amount instead. First, I donated to the Japan earthquake through Shelterbox.

    And then TODAY begins Crits for Water (http://bit.ly/ewvlou), which is an effort to raise money by auctioning of critiques), so I donated to that.

    GO TEAM! Three months down, and we're all making such a big difference!

    THANKS FOR THE GREAT IDEA, KATHARINE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to give generously, don't go broke in your charitable attempts though!
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't get through a lot either, this month. Mine were:

    Paper Towns – John Green
    The Girl Savage – Katherine Rundell
    Flora Segunda – Ysabeau S. Wilce
    The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling – Maryrose Wood
    The Lost Hero – Rick Riordan

    So that'll be $25 for me, after a much bigger month in Feb. I think I'll be donating it to Kiva, who do microfinance loans. What I love about them is that when the $25 is paid, you can loan it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am officially joining your challenge! It's such a great idea, so I am IN for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't joined the challenge, but we've been giving to a fund set up by our church, which makes sure every penny goes to the suffering people in Japan. We've also encouraged our children to give (even if it's just a small amount)--when kids learn to be generous, they carry it with them when they become adults.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a lot of reading, but no variety. I also haven't joined the challenge because I'm never quite sure how much money we'll have month-to-month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great challenge. I'm so impressed by how much reading people can get done. It's awesome that you are matching your reading with giving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoorah Susan!

    true Sophia-- I need to bring it in check.

    Amie-- I love Kiva. I got a "gift certificate" there a few Christmases ago, and I love giving that loan over and over again.

    Hooray Meredith, welcome to the challenge.

    Fantastic Connie- giving is giving in my book, and what a HUGE gift you are giving, when you teach your children to give.

    Alicia- I totally understand. You can do it at any level (now I sound like a salesman, don't I?)-- but really, I understand.

    Thank you Carrie, it makes me feel like I'm doing something good for the world (giving), as I do something good for myself (reading). That makes it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, don't go broke Kat! Glad to hear the generosity some people are inspired to give, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Katharine, you're amazing! No one would be upset if you changed your per-book pledge.

    That's a good idea, though, to bank those donations toward the lean summer months.

    I'm honored to be considered one of your all-stars. This challenge is fun and it's helping some great causes at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard about the challenge but it sounds great--so awesome that you were able to give so much. I trust good things will come back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yahong, my bank account (or lack) will stop me soon.

    Joanne- You are an ALL STAR! I am thrilled that some folks have had fun with this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for I Dig Reading!

    I will count up my books and blog about it next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are extremely generous! The only book I've read from your list is 13 Reasons Why (loved it). Now I'm reading GOING BOVINE, and next up is THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elle- thanks.

    Carrie- can't wait to see your results

    Julie- I haven't read Going Bovine yet. The Sky is Everywhere is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.