Wednesday, February 9, 2011

RTW and LOVE Fest Day Three: Favorite Literary Couples

Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival where the YA Highway posts a question, and the community answers it on their own blogs.

This week's question: Who are your favorite literary couples?You know -- the ones you like by themselves, but LOVE together!


Hmmm. This is a great (and fitting) question! 


I usually go more for the smoldering, unrequited love than the couples who get down and dirty. I feel like EVERY week I mention Jane Eyre. Are people getting tired of that yet? Or Persuasion. Again, I mention it nearly every week. 

Still, there is so much passion and desire in Anne and Wentworth's relationship, albeit in a really civil and buttoned-up kind of way. When he sits down to write the letter, proclaiming his love for her, and then leaves... well, it just gets me every time.


Now for something completely different. Claire and Jamie from the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Their passion is anything but buttoned up and civil. It's downright steamy. If you're interested in a time-traveling nurse from the 1940s heading back in time to the 1700s and getting forced into a predicament with a young, hot Scotsman: look no further. 



Now head to the Highway to see what the rest of the crew says!



24 comments:

  1. I can't believe I haven't read the Outlander series yes. It sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i completely understand the 'talking about the SAME book every darn week' thing. for me it's anna and the french kiss :D
    i really should read some jane austen and charlotte bronte asap. as difficult as their prose and dialogue can be for me to comprehend (hey, cmon, ive never even attended a proper literature class. my intellectual level is a bit low, naturally), at least ill finally get what the whole fuss over mr. darcy and co. is about!
    though i do recall wanting to murder heathcliff everytime he appeared in wuthering heights. if thats any indication of the rest of the romantic leads, then i might as well miss out on the fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I need to look into the Outlander series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aah...Even reading about that Persuasion scene in your post gets to me.

    And I agree, the Outlander series is well worth looking at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes yes yes to Anne and Wentworth!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such a difficult question for me this week, but I love your choice of Jane and Mr. Rochester. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading JANE EYRE right now, so I adore your choice of Jane and Mr. Rochester :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Jane Eyre fits for almost every RTW. That and Harry Potter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Time-travelling nurses from the 40s?! Yes please! Your book suggestions have yet to disappoint. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never even heard of Outlander - will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, Persuasion sure packs a gentle punch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haven't read Persuasion or the Outlander series and it's been so long for Jane Eyre, I might as well say I haven't read that either. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm... I've been aware of the OUTLANDER series for quite a while, but I think your description of it has sold me on taking a good look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meredith, Angela, Glenna, Kate, and Abby- it is a great series. definitely check it out! Just read the first one. You won't regret it!

    aleeza, I couldn't get into heathcliff, but I love some Jane Austen.

    I know Jennifer, I am thinking I need to put the movie on my queue for a quick fix!

    Loved yours Samantha
    Thanks Pam and Rebecca.

    Tracey, you have a point. It just proves how amazing both books are.

    So true, sarah.

    Alicia- we need to switch book lists, because I hadn't read most of yours either!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great choices. They are classics for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OOPS, I've gotta slam on the brakes and look at the Outlander series. Something delicious brewing there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have had Diana Gabaldon recommended to me three times this past month. I consider this a fourth. Must be a sign...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, no! I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't read either of these. If the couples are as great as you say, I need to add them to my list now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh goodness, how could I forget Anne and Wentworth?! *sigh* They are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  21. True Kate! Classic is the word.

    Kittie, do-- you won't regret it.

    Alison: it is SO a sign.

    Definitely try them out Katie. persuasion is an easy read. The Outlander series is big and long, but worth it.

    right, Jess? Ahh. They are my go-to couple for long, lasting love.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jane Eyre will always be number one on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.