Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday: Groundhog Day Edition

 It's Groundhog Day! I watched the unveiling this morning and Phil apparently predicted an early spring. I think if he'd done ANYTHING BUT the entire country would rebel.

In New England we are DESPERATE for spring. I am home again for another snow day. The kids are pushing the limits of cabin fever. When I opened the door to let the dogs out this morning I couldn't see anything, but could hear the tiny clinks of icy rain hitting the mountains of snow in our yard. 

Today's road trip: Pretend you're Bill Murray in the 1993 movie-- what book would you read over & over forever?


Ummm, this is a tough one. I love to re-read the books I love. For years I stuck really closely to books I enjoyed, and periodically worked my way through them. Recently, since I've discovered the wondrous world of YA, I've been much too intent on my TBR pile to go back to the old favorites.

      There is a short list of books I've read dozens of times: The World According to Garp and A Prayer for Owen Meany both by John Irving. Classics like Rebecca (Daphne duMaurier), Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte), Persuasion (Jane Austen), and Nine Coaches Waiting (Mary Stewart).
      My mom introduced me to historical romance of Alexandra Ripley, and I've read some of hers over and over and over again. My Aunt Pat got me hooked on Diana Gabaldon, and I have re-read the early ones... but there are so many now, and they are SO long that I don't feel like I'll ever have enough time to fly through them again. 
     This post makes me realize I have been wanting to re-read a book lately, but keep putting it off: A Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan. I read it multiple times in the late 1990s, and for some reason passed it to a friend and stopped reading her books. I am not sure why, because every book of hers I read I adored.

That's my choice! It's such a multi-layered book it would keep me occupied for weeks, and I am sure that I would understand the book differently now than I did as a college student. Like most of her work, the book is about family, relationships, and the intertwining of an immigrant's roots with their modern life.   

If only I had it on this snow-bound day!

If you were stuck in Groundhog Day, what book would you choose to read over and over?

Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival hosted by the ladies of YAHighway. Hop to their site to see what book the participants would read over and over again.

19 comments:

  1. Over and over, that makes it a hard one. I really like Impossible by Nancy Werlin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! i cant belive i left out rebecca! ha. but anyway, great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my snow day book? The Hunger Games trilogy!

    sorry you're suffering through yet another storm. we've been *lucky* here in VA - just rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela- how have I not even heard of this book??? I will check it out!

    Thanks Aleeza, I like yours too.

    Nice Amie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never read Amy Tan, thanks for the share.

    We have an awful lot of white and gray out here. I barely can see out of the bedroom window.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY was my favorite book when I was 16! Maybe I should read that one again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you that the classics hold a certain appeal when you know you'll have to read something over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read most of these but I've heard awesome things about them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I enjoyed two or three Amy Tan books and stopped reading her also...hmm, wonder if she has anything new out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read that book. Adding it to my list!

    I do love your other choices. A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my favorite books ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've not read any of Amy Tan's books, but they've always been on my radar. Time to add them to my To-Read list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read Amy Tan yet--this needs to change. And soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. John Irving books are almost all good for re-reading, and the classic you suggest are also great. I'll have to pick up the Amy Tan book, as I have not read that, although my wife has.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alicia- word. it's a gray wonderland out there.

    Kate- I haven't read it in a while, but it's just. so. good. I know I'd jump right back in.
    Sarah- yay for classics!
    Erinn, I know, I didn't know most of yours, but that's what makes the writing world great. Diversity.

    exactly Jennifer. She must still be writing, I don't know why I dropped her.

    tracey, I loved yours, too!

    katy, check them out. She's got a way with stories.

    Definitely Pam-- yo won't regret it.

    totally Ben, I actually almost listed a few MORE from Irving, because I love to reread his work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping by my blog. England, huh? That's on my To-Do List. Soooo, are you really an insect collector? What do you do with them?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you mentioned Jane Eyre! And Persuasion! I enjoyed Persuasion even more than Pride and Prejudice :-)

    Must try Amy Tan some time. I've been meaning to read her books for years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope spring comes soonest! You've got some monstor weather...hub's from NHampshire...relatives have had it with snow!

    I used to read Tan but kinda moved on, don't really know why.

    I'd read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Club again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh I LOVE Diana Gabaldon's books! They totally carried me through my undergrad and inspired my current WIP! That being said, I haven't read the last 2. I am very curious what happens to Jamie and Claire, but the size of the books is daunting with so much else on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Evolet- I am really an insect collector. I write about them, and I use them as models for my drawings. It's cooler than it sounds. I think.

    Leila- Persuasion. I could read it again and again. The BBC movie is also fab.

    Kittie- funny, several people said as much. Not sure why. I have the Geurnsey on my pile. Will read it soon!

    Totally Lo- I haven't read the latest one. It's a commitment of time and energy. I also want to read the newish graphic novel they did. Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.