Monday, February 7, 2011

Love Fest: Day One

Pea Pod.

If you know what I'm talking about, then you probably already know what a revelation this service is.

If you don't, please let me share the magic.


Say it with me: pea pod.
Relish it.
Let it's liberating force set you free.

Pea pod is a grocery delivery service. That's right. You make a grocery order, and they deliver it to your house.

Okay, wait, now... let's not judge. Bear with me. I'm neither lazy, nor do I suffer from agoraphobia. Though if I did, Pea Pod would make things a lot easier to handle.


The fees are minimal (something like $7 a delivery) and, of course, they offer an introductory program where the first three months are free.

So, here's why I love pea pod.
-Taking a three year old and a five year old to the grocery store is not fun. It just isn't.
-Honestly, I don't enjoy going to the grocery either. It's a huge source of time suckage.
-When online, I find I can plan menus better.
-I don't engage in impulse buys when I'm at the computer.
-Grocery stores act like they mark everything in common values so that you can compare. Yet, I always find they inevitably list one cheese type in cost/per ounce and another in cost/pound. Yes, I could theoretically make the conversion, but do I? God, no. With pea pod, you can ALWAYS ask for a per unit price comparison

The most common thing people ask me when I mention Pea Pod, is whether they bring you shoddy vegetables, fruit, and meat. The answer, in my experience, is no. The groceries come not from the Stop and Shop, but from the Stop and Shop distribution center, so meat/veg/fruit is always at the peak of freshness.

Have you tried Pea Pod? Do you use a similar service? Would you if you could?

11 comments:

  1. I know people who do and love the service. But not for me now as everything's pretty much running smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man do I wish they offered something like that here. It is SO hard to force myself to go to the grocery store when I have so little extra time as is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Pea Pod, how I miss you!! It was great when I lived up north because who wants to trek to the grocery stone when it's 12 degrees out??

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I have NOT heard of Pea Pod, but clearly I need to look into it! Thanks for the info. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, the Pea Pod sounds like the BEST invention since the combination of chocolate and peanut butter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of PeaPod, Katharine. My local grocery store has an online service I've never used. Where was it when my kids were 1 and 4? Ha! Could've used it then!

    I don't blame you in the least. I HATED grocery shopping with two little ones in tow. And I'm not that much of a shopper now. But my sons are old enough to enjoy borrowing my car and running around town, so... I give them money and a list, and they buy stuff for me. Works great. As long as I'm specific enough with the list.

    Hang in there. It gets better. In the meantime, enjoy PeaPod.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't mess with a good thing Kittie!

    Holly, it makes motherhood manageable!

    So true Meredith. It would make me think twice about moving.

    There must be other services like it Katy, even if you're in a different region.

    Exactly Pam. And if you run out of PB and chocolate, they will bring you more.

    Perfect Joanne-- I am looking forward to the day when I have kids ready and willing to run errands!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wondered about Peapod. I bet I'd save TONS on those impulse buys if I used this service. It sounds wonderful.

    But I live waaaaay out in the country and not only is grocery shopping a pain in the neck, it takes me about 20 minutes to get to the store and 20 minutes to get back home after. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perri- It really does make a difference in terms of impulse buys. So much of how a store is arranged is about getting you to BUY MORE!

    I feel for you and your long grocery trek-- no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I shop online for groceries all the time. Not every week, but sometimes life gets busy and I can't face doing it in person. Best service ever, I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.