Monday, February 28, 2011

I Dig Reading Challenge: February Update


For the newer followers, let me bring you up to speed on the I Dig Reading Challenge. The idea was not my own, it was based on a weekend reading/donating challenge I joined last December.

I loved it so much I decided to do it for a whole year, and the I Dig Reading Challenge was born.

The idea is that you set a certain level of donation for each book you read ($1 per book, 1cent per page, $5 per book, the amount is irrelevant).

Then you donate based on the number of books read each month to a charity of your choice. I opted for $5 a book.

You can watch my progress, and any reports from others who have joined the challenge, by clicking on the tab above or this link.

So, what am I reading and donating this month?

In February my desire to read waned. I read 9 books in January, and I knew that was a pace that I wouldn't be able to keep up with.

I think I needed a break. So, I let my brain rest a little.

I read just a handful of books:
In the Dead of Night (John Marsden)
Satisfaction Guaranteed (Lucy Monroe)
Evil Under the Sun (Agatha Christie)
Happily Never After (Beta- Holly Dodson)

By my own Challenge rules, this should mean a $20 donation, but I donated a bit more than that over the course of the month.

It was just one of those months, where things came up that needed donating to immediately and couldn't wait.

I made small donations to the Wintonbury Land Trust and to the Alondra Hernandez memorial.

The Wintonbury Land Trust protects and conserves land around Bloomfield Connecticut. When we first moved here we lived in Bloomfield and the land around there is dear to our hearts.

The Alondra memorial is a lot harder to talk about. She's a third grader from my son's school who passed away this week due to a ruptured* aneurysm. There is no way to imagine what that would be like.Though we couldn't give a lot we wanted to do something to help them right now.




If you like to read and give, join the I Dig Reading Challenge.


*Joanne, from My Brain On Books, a aneurysm rupture survivor, rightly points out that this is often mis-communicated. One  can live with an aneurysm. It is the rupturing of an aneurysm that is the medical problem. She has several great posts about brain aneurysms on her blog. See the tab: About Brain Aneurysms.

12 comments:

  1. You still did great even though you took a "break." Such a great cause! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Even though your reading waned, it's still quite an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shorter month -- you're expected to read less. :)

    I have no idea how many books I read; I'll have to go check my spreadsheet. I totally forgot it was the end of the month! I'm going to donate this month's and March's $$ to charity: water.

    YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful thing you're doing, Katharine! And my heart is breaking for the family of that little girl who died from the ruptured aneurysm. Not everyone with an aneurysm dies, but when they do, it's devastating for the loved ones, especially if the aneurysm victim is a child. I hope the family knows about the Brain Aneurysm Foundation (they have a page on coping with loss: http://bafound.org/coping-loss).

    I've read 11 books in February and I'm donating my money to help the family of Alondra Hernandez. Thanks for letting me know about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the links. When I was in elementary school a boy in the class above me passed away after a brain aneurysm. As a child I found it terrifying and as an adult I cannot imagine what losing a child that way would be like. I hope your son is OK, it must be a scary thing for him to try and understand (and for you to try and explain to him).

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Pam- thanks

    @ Tracy- that's the way to think of it, you're right.

    @Suz-- so true- why didn't I think of that. I can totally blame February!

    @Joanne-it really means a lot that you would do that. Thank you.

    @Carrie- you are right. James has been okay with it. We have talked about it, and answered a lot of questions. I think it's the kind of thing that will be popping into conversations for a while as he works through it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I always see this challenge on your blog and MEAN to join it and then forget until the next month. This month, I'm going to do it. I just need to tie a string around my finger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have just a little on your plate right now Erin, so I certainly understand.

    Glad to hear it Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a charitable, kind soul you are, and clever too. What a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're awesome, you know that?

    Don't forget on Friday March 4 you signed up for the gone but not forgotten blogest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Angela- it's a win-win. I get to read as much as possible, and feel like I'm "doing good" by doing it.

    Thanks Erinn-- It takes awesome to know awesome. I can't wait for the blogfest.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.