Wednesday, January 5, 2011

YA Highway: RTW

Ahhh, another road trip Wednesday. The first of the year, hooray!

This week the YA Highway Roadtrippers want to know: what are the 5 best books in 2010 and/or how would you sum up your 2010 in a book title?

I've been trying to avoid a top books list, because it's SO hard, and so personal. Just because a book doesn't make my list doesn't mean I didn't like it or learn from it. I mean, seriously, who am I to judge?

So, in no particular order I will list five books I read this year that wowed me in some way. Please note, these are not necessarily books published this year, instead here are five books I read this year that I enjoyed. I hate it when my students change the assignment, but there it is.

Before I Fall, Lauren Oliver. My review is here. Just a stellar concept, beautifully realized.

The Sky is Everywhere, Jandy Nelson. My review here. It's no surprise she studied poetry. What a beautiful, heart wrenching, glorious book.




Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, discussed here. This will always be an all-time favorite book for me. A sweeping story with authentic characters, twists and turns, mega romance, and a love of books. What else do you need?

The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch, (review) reminds me a bit of my own characters, and I loved to see what he did with the themes of science, nature, growing up, etc.

Stolen, Lucy Christoper. A true mind bender, reviewed here. The way the author takes you, and changes your conceptualization about what has happened is breathtaking.


And how could my year be summarized in a book title? Ummm... I can think of at least 3 of those:

1. The Idiot's Guide to Being a YA Author
2. Blogging for Dummies
3. Getting in over my head: my journey from unpublished author to unpublished author

20 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHA, I LOVE title number 3!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices! I really want to read The Sky is Everywhere and I LOVED Stolen- so gripping and the visuals in this book made me jealous. I like your titles- especially # 3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why haven't I read The Sky is Everywhere yet? This must be solved immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great titles.

    And I loved THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to read some more books. Urgh. LOL

    I also love number 3.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Holly- it's funny because it's true

    Pam and Quita- you will love TSIE.

    Thanks Jennifer, TSIE is such a gem.

    Alicia- I felt the same after reading your post. *adding books to TBR list*

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA to your titles! I haven't read STOLEN yet, what is wrong with me??

    I also totally loved BEFORE I FALL and THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE. So. Good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Before I Fall is the only book on your list that I've read. My to read list is growing longer by the minute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah, I think you would love Stolen. It's something else.

    Kate- I know, I keep opening my booklist document and adding more and more as the other RTW posts come up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again with The Sky is Everywhere! I'm seeing that title all over the place today. I definitely need to read it.

    I LOVED Stolen. Such a mind trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to read THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE, like immediately. I'm starting to feel left out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am seeing THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE on list after list after list today. I guess I better get to it and read that one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. SHADOW OF THE WIND, FTW!
    THE HIGHEST TIDE sounds great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meredith, Kaitlin, and Rachel- I heard about it on a "best book of the month" RTW-- same thing, it was on list after list-- and it lived up to the hype.

    such a good one, isn't it Rebecca? The Highest Tide is a boy YA, which is refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo, The Highest Tide sounds really good! I haven't heard of it before now, but I'm excited to read another boy YA.

    And I love your titles, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE your third title!

    I included SKY and STOLEN on my list too, and BEFORE I FALL is on my To-Read. Great reviews, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, #3 is pure brilliance. I would without a doubt pick that one up off the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, yes, for BEFORE I FALL. That book blew me away. Can't believe I haven't read the others. Now my TBR list is longer, thanks to you!

    Love your titles. Ha ha ha. And I totally sympathize about the unpublished to unpublished bit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great list!
    It was incredibly hard picking only five for an entire year, wasn't it!

    LOVE your titles ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks Jess, and you would like The Highest Tide I think!

    thanks and thanks, katy!

    thanks Michelle- I wish I could put it on the shelves for you!

    yes, Joanne, Before I Fall was a doozie. Hope you like these others, to.

    So true Amanda... there are so many more than 5 that are worth talking about!!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.