Wednesday, January 26, 2011

RTW: A whole new world...

Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival hosted by YA Highway. Each Wednesday, all participants answer the same question about writing or books. Hop over to their site to join the road trip.

This week's question: If you could live in the world of one book, what would it be?


I love this topic, because that's the whole point, right? We read to take ourselves out of our humdrum lives for a little while, and jump into another more exciting/romantic/suspenseful/mysterious/adventurous experience.

Where would I like to be? Hmmm... that's hard to say. For starters let's just knock out all the dystopian worlds. Yes, they can teach us a lot about political systems and societies gone wrong. Yes they can be full of heart-pounding moments... but they're not exactly places I want to visit. I mean, by their very definition they are dystopian not utopian.

I'm also not planning to go to any worlds inhabited by zombies or other creatures. That's just not my scene, y'all.

Some of my favorite books involve a large mysterious house, perhaps in the English countryside, intertwined with a suspenseful story.

I'm thinking Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart
 and Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Not that these big beautiful romantic houses hold a lot of good times: both stories involve murder.

Still, I'm a sucker for the detailed architecture. Give me stained glass, elaborate woodwork, carved mantelpieces, and pocket doors any day of the week.

I can't deny a fascination with all the nooks and crannies of any big house: the servant's quarters, secret passageways, grand rooms-- and let's face it, there's always a wing that you should never, ever enter.

If I could transport myself into the world of a book, it would be the luxurious but mysterious country estate.

I can appreciate the woodwork, investigate the East Wing, and help solve the mystery, all in one long weekend.



Check out my fellow participants on the YA Highway site.

21 comments:

  1. All you need is a Tardis and you should be fine to go there... or maybe the some back woods area of England Scotland or Ireland.

    Very romantic, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I would love this too. Have you been watching Downton Abbey on PBS? If not, check it out. Judging by the sound of this post, I think you'd love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big houses kinda scare me...but I could see how being able to spend time in one would be cool. Especially if there are historical artifacts around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooh, nice choices! The best thing is, you can probably find these places in real life (okay maybe with out the murder -- I hope) verus *my* RTW choices which are all pure fantasy!

    I used to be totally obsessed with the boardgame CLUE (or CLUEDO as it's called in other countries). Old manor with mysteries to solve? Yes please!

    Oh, and, I <3 Mary Stewart. Her "gothic novels" were my favorite in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, such original choices! I'm a pantsy when it comes to living in large houses, but they sure are pretty to look at. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was sure you were going to say Barcelona! But these all look gorgeous. (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Large houses are pretty awesome. I live in one in my fantasy life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! Think of the wardrobe you would have as well. Lots of slinky dresses at night and sensible tweeds for day. You could hang out in the library (hopefully sans body)and check to see if the eyes behind the portraits were moving...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erinn- tardis, sign me up. I want to go with new series Dr one (christopher eccelston) and Donna Noble.

    Ohhh Meredith. Will find that now-- thanks!

    Marquita, I love a big ole house with lots of secrets (no ghosts).

    Susan- oh yes, and it was Cluedo in the NL too. Why is that?

    Pam- not a scary house, I hope.

    Glenna- ha ha ha. I thought about it!

    Funny Alicia-- me too!

    I know Carrie, right. I'll need some small hunting dogs, and better riding skills .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of those books, but the mysterious, intriguing settings you describe sound like great places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that first picture of the beautiful house and the lavender. I'd live there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh... I so would love to live in that last house. I mean, I guess if I had to leave my apartment it'd be OK.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree Lora- visiting would be perfect.

    Katy- totally. I love lavender so so much.

    right Tracey? I mean the mystery would be fun, but the mansion wouldn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Big house, English countryside...I could go for that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your post and Downton Abbey remind me of the reality series that aired on PBS called The Manor House. In fact, the house in DA looks so similar to the one they used for MH that it could actually be the same one.

    In any case, for MH they took ordinary modern-day people and assigned them roles in the manor house while they lived there for the duration of the show. So cool, and one of those things where you go, "Where was I when they were taking applications for this????"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd like to live in a large house--particularly if it's mysterious, too. I love the photos you posted, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Come along Jennifer! It looks like there is plenty of room!

    Very cool Angelica-- MH sounds interesting. A reality show I can get behind. I added Downton Abbey to my netflix queue!

    Thanks Rebecca... sadly I've not been to these houses, they're courtesy of the web. I found them on http://www.uniquehomestays.com/
    where you can fulfill all your castle-renting needs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love those houses. I could so picture myself in one of those... with servents to match cos I wouldn't want to clean it!!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this idea and am sooo going to participate in Road Trip Wednesdays from now on. I LOVED Rebecca and totally agree with you. Great site, so glad I hopped over here from Tracey's!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah I might need to rethink my choose factors....I am in a desert following a gunslinger who is following the man in black and I know for a fact in the next book there are lobsters who eat you while you sleep! LOL this sounds nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. True Beck-- the servants are very important in a house like that.

    Thanks Lindsay-- do participate in RTW, they are always fun!

    HowLynn- yours is definitely a harsh world! good luck!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.