Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Printz Titles

Though I came NOWHERE close to guessing ANY of the awards over at the My Brain on Books Blog, I had a good time thinking about who might win the Caldecott, the Printz, and Newberry Awards.

If you haven't heard... but we're all book nerds here, so you probably have... the Printz winner is:
Ship Breaker by  Paolo Bacigalupi

Description from the ALA website: "In Ship Breaker, near a drowned New Orleans ravaged by hurricanes and global warming, Nailer and his young crew eke out a meager existence by scavenging materials on the ship-littered coast."

The Honor books include Stolen, Please Ignore Vera Dietz, Revolver and Nothing.
(Descriptions and Covers below)

Of these I have only read Stolen, which was fantastic.  
Have you read any of these titles? 
If yes, what did you think? 
Who would you give the Printz award to?





Stolen by Lucy Christopher "The rugged Australian outback becomes Gemma’s prison after she is drugged and abducted by a handsome, obsessed stranger in a first novel filled with searing imagery and archetypal characters."

Please Ignore Vera Dietz  by A.S. King. "Vera Dietz wants to be ignored, but the ghost of her ex-best friend won’t leave her alone in this dark comedy that examines relationships, identity, grief and flowcharts."

Revolver written by Marcus Sedgwick "In Sedgwick’s grim, chilling story set in the Arctic Circle, Sig finds his father’s frozen corpse as human predator Wolff arrives seeking retribution and a hidden Gold Rush treasure." 

Nothing written by Janne Teller "Pierre Anthon’s nihilism causes his classmates to begin a search for life’s meaning in this bold, unsettling parable translated from Danish."

8 comments:

  1. I'm like you—the only title I'd read was STOLEN, so I really can't say which I would have chosen! I'd never even heard of the winner (:crouches down sheepishly:)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so embarrassed! I haven't read any of these books, but I truly plan on reading Stolen (based on my cousin's recommendation) and Please Ignore Vera Dietz. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really embarrassing. The only one I've heard about was Stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well... I hear you ladies. At least we're all in the same boat! I think it's because they're all so NEW.

    Most of my books come through word-of-mouth, and it takes a while to trickle down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a review of Ship Breaker in the local newspaper. It's supposed to be really good. I think your post reminded this Louisianian I should swim to it and start reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I"ve only read Stolen too. I really enjoyed it. I'll have to look into Ship Breaker, hadn't even heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kittie and Angie- Ship Breaker sounds good to me, too. I also like the sound of revolver... i am fascinated by those old arctic exploration stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stolen is the only one I have read too :) Some, I hadn;'t even heard of. Thanks for posting this. Very interesting!

    Hope you're keeping well!

    x Nomes

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.