Monday, January 3, 2011

New year, New office

For Christmas, my husband has been working on a couple of home projects. One was to set up an office for me upstairs. We first used this small room as James' bedroom, but then eventually he and Willy joined forces and set up camp in the former guestroom. We realized that if you only have guests once or twice a year, it doesn't make sense to have a guest bedroom.


So, first he painted it this beautiful golden yellow. I feel like I'm in the center of a honeycomb, which, for me, is a good thing! It is hard to capture the warmth of the color, it's a much deeper and more golden than these photos show.


Then my friend Izzi gave me these great butterfly appliques for Christmas, which the boys and I placed around the room.


 This is a photo of my parents, aunts, uncles, and grandparents all dressed up in (I'm guessing based on the number of grandchildren present) 1972 on Christmas Eve. 
 

Mike hung these photos for me [clockwise from bottom right]: a moth life cycle from an old book (also from Izzi- she is the MASTER of tag sales, and she not only grabs things we would like, we also get some of her awesome cast-offs), a photo by my friend Dorthe (pronounced Dor-ta, please don't say dorthee, she hates that)*, one of my beetle woodcuts, a photo of my grandad, and a framed lantern fly.  That's about as much inspiration as I can pack into one small wall.


Naturally, James was very excited with the idea of "an office". For those of you who don't know him, my oldest son is a connoisseur of the stationary arts. He literally got tape for Christmas. From several different people. If you really want to blow his mind, you don't go to the toy store, you take him to Staples. He loves nothing more than to draw, staple, tape, and cut things out.

He immediately begged us to make a desk for him, too. (At first we set up an area in my office, but his access meant the cat had access, which was not good). Instead we set up a section of his room for him to work on whatever it is he does.

Over the weekend he'd stop playing downstairs and say "I'm going to my office for a while." Then head up and work on a project.



*Dorthe makes incredible images. Check out the suspended balloons and swamp images here

12 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful office! I hope you get a lot of writing done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your office is beautiful! You're going to get so much work done in there! And it's really great that your son is so creative. My daughter loves to write and draw too and got a lot of notebooks and pens for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat, New Year's resolution is to defnitely check your blog from time to time. Great office - sounds like you have a budding artist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous! I love the paint color and your desk. Also, your son sounds adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the color of your office. (It matches the color of my makeshift one, actually.) Also, too cute about your kid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bright yellow... it's so warm and inviting. And I love the decor on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty. IT's nice that you have your space in your house. I have a corner in my husband's office/guest room. Lovely and I love that your son wanted his own desk too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks everyone

    @Pam, me too

    @Cheyanne- if only we could get them together for a play date!

    @Katy- the desk is from goodwill. I love the goodwill.

    @Alicia-- it's such a nice color in winter.

    @Erin, I know, i was really happy to get the butterfly thingees.

    @Erinn, I am thrilled to have the space!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the yellow! It's so cozy. Mmmm. Now I feel all snuggly inside.

    And EGADS, that wall of inspiration is awesome! I especially love the lantern fly.

    Have fun in your new office, and happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cozy is the word, Jess. Yes, the inspiration wall makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a beautiful space! And I loved reading about your son, he sounds adorable. I can totally relate on the stationary love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. thx mummazappa- he's a sweat pea!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.