Monday, January 24, 2011

Dear Mockingjay,

It's strange to have to talk to you about this. I mean, I know you know, right? I don't imagine you can't tell. It's obvious. I know it is. Maybe we've both been pretending for too long.

It's not fair to you to go on like this. I know you've probably heard this before, but it really is true. I'm not just saying it to say it. I'm actually sorry to have to say it to you, because I really think you're great.

I really mean it: it's not you, it's me.

Don't get mad. Please, don't. Just hear me out, okay?

I like you. Please don't think that I don't like you. You're great. You're clever and brave. You're smart and head-strong. You're great. It's just me. I'm not that into you. It's not your fault.  It's nobody's fault.

It's not that I can't take an intense experience, but it seems like it's always intense with you. You're always a pawn in some game. You're always feeling the same anger and betrayal. It's just too much for me.

But really, in a few days you're going to be fine. I mean, people LOVE you. Listen, no, I'm not just saying that. People really love you. For some people you're their favorite book ever.

That's amazing. You should enjoy that. I mean, they're making a movie about you, and you're going to get to know even more people. You're really going to go far.

Just not with me.

And that's okay. I don't think it has to mean that it's my fault, or it's your fault. We were never a good match. No, I'm not bringing up Matched. Listen, it's not about Matched. Sure, I think it's great, and yeah, I've compared you two--- that wasn't fair.  But seriously, you shouldn't even think about Matched, okay?

It's not about Matched. It's just me. It's really me.

12 comments:

  1. LMAO- this is great :) And I'm kinda with you on this one...may I borrow your letter and send it to Mockingjay as well???

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL You are so awesome, KO. This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, such a great post! I agree with Quita; I think you should make copies so I can send one as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quita, Holly, Pam, glad you are enjoying it!

    You can definitely make copies.

    Every time I started to write a review it felt like I was breaking up with the book... so I went with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very funny. I couldn't get past the Hunger Games, I didn't love it as much as everyone else did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of The Hunger Games, but I'm still laughing HARD at this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I love the whole Hunger Games trilogy, but this post cracked me up. Very clever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is hilarious, Katharine! And although I love the books, I still feel Hunger Games was the best of the trilogy.

    Mockingjay was great, but almost TOO intense. I felt drained when I finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Erinn, Alicia, Katy and Joanne-- I hope it comes across that I liked the books. I didn't dislike them, but well, you know...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally agree, KO. I think a lot of folks felt jaded by Mockingjay. This has to be one of the funniest reactions, though! :)

    EJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although I will defend Mockingjay to the death (though preferably not in an arena) (and yes, EVEN THE EPILOGUE), I love this take on it! The bit about Matched still has me giggling.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.