Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Road Trip Wednesday

Road Trip Wednesday is a “Blog Carnival,” where YA Highway’s contributors post a question and answer it on their own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s unique take on the topic.

This week’s topic: What Movie Do You Wish Had Been a Book First? (and, at Katy Upperman's suggestion, if it WERE a book, who should have written it?)

So many movies I love started out as books I love. This is tough.

Honestly- I had to go to my favorite movies list in my Blogger ID for some inspiration, but now I have it.



I SO have it.


Do you know now?







 How about now?



Ahhh, The Goonies. One of my favorite movies OF ALL TIME. I remember going to the theater to see it in the summer, when my mom's friend was visiting with her kids.


It blew my mind.

I still adore it, and I can't wait to share it with my boys (when they are much older)!!

How great would this be as a YA book? Friendship, laughs, and a real, bona fide adventure including pirates, crooks, a treasure map, and cool caves. Not to mention that they're destroying their house to build a golf course! Even the environmental and social issues that I love to include in my books!!!

Who should write it?-- me, of course! Must add that to the list.

When Mike and I were in Egypt we fell in with these nice American kids who were Peace Corps workers in Moldova. We'd been living in another culture, the Netherlands, for about two years at that point. Living in another place can be so fantastic, but one of the things we missed were the cultural touchpoints-- the movies you quote, the books and TV shows you all watched, the music you all can sing... it's much more difficult to have that with people who had different movies/shows/books/songs.

We went with these new friends to see the compound surrounding the burning bush. Like a lot things in Egypt this involved a crazy scene where you haggle to buy tickets, using almost any currency. As we approached the ticket area we could all clearly see men waving Euros, dollars, and Egyptian pounds and telling you what you could buy.

One of the American girls without hesitation started calling out,

"Fifty dollar bill, Fifty dollar bill!" in Data's voice.

I recognized it immediately, and I nearly started crying. I realized what had been missing-- that feeling you get when you share a million tiny little cultural blips with the people around you.


That, my friend, is the power of the Goonies!

 What movie would you love to see as a book? Go to the YAHighway to see what the whole gang thinks!

14 comments:

  1. Ooh good choice. I <3 the Goonies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, a fun choice. Loved how you tied all this together. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome choice! I still love The Goonies to this day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen The Goonies is a loooong time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was my choice! Goonies was the most influential movie of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erinn picked THE GOONIES, too, but I've never seen it! I guess I need to check it out here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need to Netflix this and watch it again--you've made me so nostalgic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holly, It's a classic, right?

    thanks Kittie!

    thanks Pam- it's the best.

    I haven't seen it in a while either Alicia, but I know it will still rock.

    Great minds, Erinn.

    OMG Abby, you MUST!

    I'm thinking the same thing Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh... Great pick! I love The Goonies and I agree that it'd make a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bahaha! I love the Goonies! Such a classic! And what a great story about the girl in Egypt. Funny how it's the little things that tie us together as human beings. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. YESYESYES!! The Goonies is such an awesome choice!!

    Gosh, I haven't seen this movie in AGES. I'll have to scour my parent's house next time I'm home... Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S. I have something for you at my blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Goonies is absolutely my favorite movie of all time! Still own the VHS version... Maybe it's time to buy a DVD? Or get Netflix?

    I also love an old movie called I.Q., with Meg Ryan and Tim Robbins. Was it made from a book? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joanne- I still have a few VHS tapes, too-- I'll keep them until my machine dies, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.