Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Road Trip Wednesday: Best book of October

My reading fell to a personal low in October. I have been engulfed in and by my work. Not a bad thing, necessarily, but I wasn't able to do a lot of extra reading.

This month I read Feed by MT Anderson, Just Listen by Sarah Dessen, and Notes from the Teenage Underground by Simone Howell. Click the links for the reviews of each.

My top pick is Feed.



All three books were strong in very different ways, but Feed is the one I thought about most after, the one that stuck with me. Just to make it easier for you to understand why, I copied and pasted my review below.


Tiny synopsis: Titus and his friends love to have fun. Their life in a futuristic version of America revolves around their feeds- a kind of internet hookup in their brains. Their feeds can solve all their problems by helping them pick out just the right thing to buy, or the right place to go, or the newest way to fix their hair. Titus meets home-schooled Violet on a moon holiday and for the first time begins to think about the world he's living in.

Wow. My tiny synopsis does not do this justice. This book is amazing. I have been reading so much lately. Sometimes I feel like I start a book and a prototype starts to emerge pretty quickly. I am not the first person to say there are only about 7 story ideas out there, that just get reconfigured by writers in new ways over time. I can certainly see how my own work is derivative.

This book felt totally fresh to me. The world was stunningly creative. Mesmerizing. Also, this book approaches a lot of social issues like the environment (so double-yay from me there), education, global corporate domination, land use, consumerism, etc. The world-building is clever and fascinating. At the same time, some of the personal connections are warm, tender, and true.

I highly recommend it.

Join the crew at the YA Highway to find out everyone's favorite book of October.

17 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about Feed, and even got to speak to MT Anderson in person this past summer. Super cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, awesome Pam. You have met so many writers! I am envious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feed has been on my radar to read for a while now. I need to put it on my MUST read list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feed has been on my radar to read for a while now. I need to put it on my MUST read list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard good things about FEED, and the cover is oddly inticing. Thanks for the great review. I'll definitely have to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feed is on my list to read. Maybe in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of this (saw the trailer, actually), and it sounded awesome. I will definitely add it to my To Read list.
    P.S. Thanks for the comments and shout-outs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Feed on my bookshelf, and like Pam, had a conversation with MT Anderson as SCBWI this past summer. I read the first chapter or so and was enamored...but then you know, stuff happened. I do fully intend to finish it one of these days and I'm itching to read it even more now that you gave it such glowing remarks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. FEED was my pick for October, too! Great minds. . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah apparently this was a popular one this month! Must read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that settles it... FEED is also going on my TBR list! I'm intrigued by NOTES as well. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like I need to find myself a copy of feed!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hooray, FEED is one of my all-time favorite books! I met MT Anderson at SCBWI LA and pretty much died. Ask the other YA Highway girls. I was utterly fangirlish. He's such a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the comments ladies!

    MT Anderson sounds cool-- nice to know someone who you like on paper turns out to be cool in real life, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that your "personal low" is 3 books. That's fab!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks Claire! They're not always good books, but I try to keep reading!!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.