Monday, October 4, 2010

Book Review: Feed by MT Anderson


Tiny synopsis: Titus and his friends love to have fun. Their life in a futuristic version of America revolves around their feeds- a kind of internet hookup in their brains. Their feeds can solve all their problems by helping them pick out just the right thing to buy, or the right place to go, or the newest way to fix their hair. Titus meets home-schooled Violet on a moon holiday and for the first time begins to think about the world he's living in.

Wow. My tiny synopsis does not do this justice. This book is amazing. I have been reading so much lately. Sometimes I feel like I start a book and a prototype starts to emerge pretty quickly. I am not the first person to say there are only about 7 story ideas out there, that just get reconfigured by writers in new ways over time. I can certainly see how my own work is derivative-- it's part Nancy Drew, part Carl Hiassen, and I hope before I am done with it, a bit of Jim Lynch thrown in.

This book felt totally fresh to me. The world was stunningly creative. Mesmerizing. Also, this book approaches a lot of social issues like the environment (so double-yay from me there), education, global corporate domination, land use, consumerism, etc. The world-building is clever and fascinating. At the same time, some of the personal connections are warm, tender, and true.

I highly recommend it.

6 comments:

  1. This book has been on my radar for a while. I've been meaning to read it. Thanks for the awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I have this book sitting on my desk at home and haven't read it yet. I'll be moving it to the top of the stack now. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a cool book! My husband is always suggesting these kinds of futuristic, technology-based ideas to me (not at all my cup of tea when it comes to writing!), so I think I'll pass this title on to him to read as well. Thanks, Katharine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard a lot about this too, but haven't done anything with it yet. Looks like another in the TBR pile. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to get rather discouraged by a lot of dystopian type novels because they are so far fetched and they try to so hard to incorporate genetics into their arguments and they tend not to do so very well. But this one sounds really good. Will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erinn, Holly, Alicia, I hope you guys like it!
    Katy- I am totally passing it to my husband next.
    Angie- no genetics in this one, which is good. I don't read a lot of dystopian novels, so that may be part of why it feels so fresh to me... but it is very different from the few I have read (Uglies, Hunger Games, etc.)

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.