Tuesday, September 28, 2010

RTW:Best Book of September

Road Trip wednesday is a BLOG carnival hosted by the YA Highway-ers.

I read many a good book in September
Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

On Writing by Stephen King

Feeling sorry for Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty

Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Emerald’s Keeper BETA by Holly Dodson (woot!)

Water Wars by Vandana Shiva

This is not an easy list to choose from. Oh no, not at all.
I liked the Forest of Hands and Teeth, and Shiver (though as you can see in this post, I clicked a little more with the writing in Shiver.)

I thought Feeling Sorry for Celia was sweet, fun, and clever.

I liked Catching Fire more than Hunger Games-- it was riveting, and I can't wait to read Mockingjay.

On Writing by Mr. King is one I am still poring over, and likely will keep referencing for years.

Bridget Jones' Diary is a classic-- though I can't read any scenes without thinking about the movie now.

The DUFF- it took me a while to get into this one. I know I'm old, but I guess I'm older than I realized. The characters in this book acted more like girls in their late 20s/early 30s to me than high school girls. Kind of like Sex in the City meets YA.

Of course the author is really a just-out-of-high-school girl. But I can admit that I am old (36), no longer hip, and quite possibly way out of the loop. I remember reading way back in the summer that people were saying Kody's voice was capturing her whole generation (which is pretty amazing), and I can certainly understand that I am of a different generation. You should know-- I liked the book, it just took me a few chapters to get into it. After a few chapters I was able to (stop worrying about these girls and) connect more with the story.

Water Wars by Vandana Shiva is non-fiction, it's a depiction of water rights issues by this incredible activist and scholar. It is compelling, convincing, and such an amazing read. I highly recommend it, and the film FLOW (For Love of Water), which features a lot of the themes of the book as well as Ms Shiva herself. Check out the movie if you don't want to read the book: you will be astounded by this fierce protector of human rights.

And that brings me to the remaining title: Emerald's Keeper by Holly Dodson. This is the first beta read I've ever done, and it was SO COOL. I really loved getting the chance to see someone else's work, to understand a little about what motivates them, how they craft a story, a plot, characters, twists and turns... all of that. Obviously my lips are sealed on EVERY aspect of the book, but trust me- it's a cool story.

So, hands down my favorite book this month was Emerald's Keeper- because it made me feel like I was a part of something bigger than just my wee little book: A community of talented writers.

7 comments:

  1. Aww, that's really sweet. I know this will thrill Holly. Hopefully, a couple of agents will like it as much as you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice touch to add Holly's book. Well done. Awesome.

    Now I wish she would send it to me so I can read it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO FAIR picking Holly's book! I am mad jealous.

    Also, I have never read Bridget Jones' Diary. LOVE the movie, but why do I continue to deprive myself of that book? I've never heard of anyone that dislikes it.

    Need to fix that this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG you are the bestest EVER! lol Talk about making a girl's day!

    THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) I've read an earlier draft of Emerald's, so I'm certain it deserves being #1! I'm glad you got to read it too, and I think it's awesome that you chose it for RTW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Aren't good beta reads the best? You feel like you're in on an amazing secret the rest of the world will have to wait to experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list! I'm looking forward to reading a few of these. And I agree -- a good beta read beats everything!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.