Friday, August 27, 2010

Review: The Shadow of the Wind


Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafon

I am a re-reader, and I suspect that many of you out there are, too. When I love a book I love to read it again and again.

Recently I started thinking about this gem of a book, so I found it at my library (added bonus of the re-read: often no waiting when you want to borrow it). I wanted to know if it was as good as I remembered, especially because I think I read a little more critically now.

Tiny synopsis: We meet Daniel as he visits the cemetery of forgotten books, in post-Spanish Civil war Barcelona. His father allows him to take one book from the Cemetery, and he chooses The Shadow of the Wind by Julian Carax. Daniel loves the book, but is dismayed to find that nearly every other copy of the book, and all other titles by Julian Carax are being systematically destroyed by a mysterious stranger. A stranger who finds Carax's books, and burns them.

Daniel and his friends work to uncover Carax's life story, only to meet new and confusing evidence around every turn. Daniel must find the answers to The Shadow of the Wind, but may not be able to do it before repeating the same mistakes that led to the total and complete downfall of Julian Carax.

Wow- all I have to say is, this still counts as one of my favorite books of all time. It is spectacular. Riveting.

Zafon and his translator have a magical way with words. He paints an image of Barcelona that is crystal clear, all the while presenting the reader with one meticulously crafted character after another. And though I probably mention this every time I review a book I like, I adore it when a story twists and turns but comes together again in a circular but surprising way.

The thrill is still alive and well when it comes to me and The Shadow of the Wind.

I am stoked that I get to share this book with one lucky reader as a part of my BOOKS I LOVE CONTEST.

6 comments:

  1. I love re-reading too - getting to visit all your fave characters again and feel that same emotion - sometimes I even love a book more on the re-read when I'm not screaming through it trying to see what will happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KO! I LOVE LOVE LOVE re-reading. I often get so much more out of it the second time. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion... books are always SO much better when they come recommended from a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've never heard of this novel! I can't wait to check it out. Thanks for the fabulous review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nomes-- good point. And I finally read STOLEN-- can't wait to review it!
    Erin- I agree, the recommendation makes all the difference
    Susan- definitely check it out. It is so, so, good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey there!! you just won my contest! come on over and choose your prize!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was at Amie Borst's blog, saw where you'd won an award, followed her suggestion to drop by and am glad I did. Anyone who loves The Shadow of the Wind has got to be my kinda person. That book is beyond awesome. One of those terrific books.

    I also enjoyed reading about your visit to Finland. Had a great visit there. Anyway, I'm a new follower, entered your contest for fun! Look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.