Friday, July 9, 2010

Trip to the Library or Vacation begins

We are now in transit to South Carolina for vacation.

One of the errands I ran right before the departure was to the library. I needed to return a few things and wanted to find some reads for my trip. I am heading to the beach and despite the plans with friends and family, not to mention all the activities with our own small children, I am hoping to get some reading time in.

Ahhhh… so I got a TON of books.

Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. I have read one of her novels (Blue Shoe), and a book of essays (Traveling Mercies). Her This American Life story (Music Lessons) was one of the first I heard, and I fell in love with her then—it must have been about 1998. This is a book on writing, so it is especially fitting.

The Tin Princess, by Philip Pullman. Characters from the Sally Lockhart series. Should be delightful.

Bog Child, by Siobhan Dowd. You had me at bog. I’m serious. Peat, bog, swamp, morass, fen, bayou, marsh… I love all wetlands equally. A mystery set in Ireland during the troubles. Say no more.

The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch. On a forum some fellow writers said this book sounded like my WIP SWAMPED "in a good way". Basic premise: boy loves nature, must deal with family problems. Sounds right up my alley. This book is set in the Northwest region, which is such an incredible landscape. I look forward to learning more about it.

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. Dystopian future world where everyone turns pretty at 16, but the main character isn't sure she wants to be.

Shadow in the North by Philip Pullman. Book 2 in the Sally Lockhart trilogy.

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. I have no idea what this is about, but it got about 15 recommendations on last week’s YA highway Best Book you read in June, so I am diving in.

and, I bought Hunger Games on Wednesday. Something about a dystopian future, again, and it comes highly recommended.

Vacation BEGINS!!!

4 comments:

  1. wow - awesome books!

    You have to read The Hunger Games! It's sooooooooooo good :) One of my fave books ever.

    And I choose The Sky is Everywhere for my YA hwy :) <3

    Also, Bog child had me at bog too :) I love stuff like that.

    I also have Uglies out from the library at the moment.

    Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hunger Games is overrated.
    I just finished another book. Next week I'm doing a book review on my blog every day.

    Enjoy your trip and happy reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys-

    I read your review Erinn, and I get why you weren't bowled over by HG. But since I haven't read Battle Royale I bet I'll like it. I also thought my husband would probably like it too (unlike some YA).

    Nomes-- I almost finished Uglies in the car yesterday. To the point that I considered sitting in the hotel bathroom while everyone was sleeping and finishing it. But I tried to be good and get some sleep It's very interesting.

    have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have to put in a good word for HG - I really enjoyed it! I also never read Battle Royale, so...

    I hope you have a nice vacation :]

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.