Monday, July 5, 2010

Gotta do something

What do you do when you are spending time with sick kids?

Our guys have both been ill this week. It started with Willy on Wednesday night. Then by Saturday morning it hit James.

Not an ideal holiday weekend, but it could be worse, I guess. We were at least not traveling, and had some time off of work. After the first 36 hours (for each of them) they stopped throwing up. I will spare you the gory details, but I am sure the moms out there can imagine the way something like a stomach bug runs through a kid's system.

Not pretty.

We watched so much television. Much more than we would normally watch. I have seen Max and Ruby and Yo Gabba Gabba so much I want to gouge out my eyes. I even searched through pay per view to see if any cartoon movies were out. Nothing was.

Now Mike is achy and I have sinus issues, and we're both really hoping we've seen the end of this bug. We are traveling to SC at the end of next week and we don't want to jeopardize our trip.

So what do I do when I'm with sick kids? While I sat on the sofa, rubbing the back of a sleeping child, trying to ignore children's programming, holding a child with fever, or merely resting between requests for juice, water, juice boxes, crackers, etc.-- I read.

Since Wednesday I read four books.

Girl with the Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier. I realize that is so 1999, but I never read it, and thought I'd check it out. In thinking about my WindPunk project I wanted to get a feel for the era. Though I lived in the Netherlands for five years, obviously it was not in the 1600s.

Monster by Christopher Pike. He emerged a bit after my teenage years, so I'd never read his books. What I write is more mystery while I would classify him as horror/suspense. I wanted to read at least one of his books.

Stolen Children by Peg Kehret. I picked this up at the book fair a few weeks ago. It is a MG suspense/mystery.

and How to Ruin a Summer Vacation, Simone Elkeles. I have been scouting the library for her book Perfect Chemistry, but haven't found it in the Teen section. This was the only book by her there, and I grabbed it. I have since heard from my friend Izzy that our library has a separate juvenile section, where they shelve some YA books. Because that makes perfect sense.

And you, dear reader, will get a review of each of these from me in the coming days. But for now, I am going to shut down the computer and go to bed.



PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: This article about drowning was a big eye-opener for me. Share it with the people you love. Courtesy of the nicest Shark in the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.