Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My eggs are hatching


Seriously. Just over 50 silk worm caterpillars.

I wasn't sure they were going to make it. I ordered them from a biological supply company after reading Project Mulberry (reviewed below) because I thought it would be a neat thing to try. I thought the boys would like to watch them grow, and my friends have already volunteered to take part in a silk-thread-winding-party at the end of the summer.

When the eggs arrived I was surprised to find that they were only the size of poppy seeds.
The accompanying literature mentioned that the eggs should be kept at about 84 degrees Fahrenheit. Great, I'll just go set the incubator to... wait-- we don't have an incubator?

Of course we don't have an incubator. We're not farmers, people.

So I worried that our house's fluctuation between probably the high 60s and the low 80s would not be right. I worried I might kill the eggs.

You should know, I am a bit of a worrier when it comes to family pets. I am constantly feeling guilty that we only take our dogs out for one long walk a day. I WANT to be the dog whisperer; I WANT to be able to strap on the in line skates and take my dogs for a nice 2-hour long 'pack run'. Reality (job, kids, weather, stress, exhaustion) does not allow this. The same goes for the fish. I am convinced that the tetras are bullying the guppy. His tail is getting bitten by SOMETHING. But nobody takes me seriously.

My worries about the silkworm caterpillars were roundly ignored. Plus, I wasn't about to go buy an incubator. I figured we just had to wait and see.

This morning, when I lifted the top off their ramekin (they're too small for the terrarium), I was shocked to see tiny black lines where my poppy seeds used to be. And I do mean tiny. They are maybe the same thickness as the average pin, but (nerd alert, I just measured one) just over 1/16th of an inch long.

I asked Mike to pick one mulberry leaf for me, then I tore it in two pieces and put it in said ramekin. They are ALL OVER IT.

Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.